Concluding Statement

"Decay is inherent in all things; choose your path with diligence." ~last words of the Budda, 483 BC







Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Gorge... take one

The past few weeks have been relatively uneventful so I don't have much to report. Last weekend we did a little bit of local climbing before attending an open sailing day at one of the local Yacht clubs. I’d never been sailing, so it was interesting to go out and see what it was all about (sorry, no pictures as I was afraid I’d get the camera wet, which was a good call). I can definitely see the appeal- it’s pretty mentally stimulating, can be physical at times, and has the potential for consequences to give it the adventurous feel. However, there are only so many days in the week and another hobby at the moment isn’t particularly practical. I’ll just file that one away for the future. Maybe when I’m 70 or something I’ll get into it.


Anyway, this weekend the weather was dubious and we had a lazy weekend of some local climbing in the Cataract Gorge. The Gorge cuts through a portion of the city and is only about a 10 minute walk from our house.




Most of the climbing is on relatively short columns of vertical dolerite, and unfortunately doesn’t really lend its self well to hard climbing. I’ve only climbed there a few times and have already done a good number of the harder routes. However, there are some fun looking trad routes and arêtes that look nice, as well as this one project that really stands out as a extremely hard, awesome looking line that will take quite a bit of work. On this occasion though, I set my sights a little lower and did a few of the already established routes. I did a very balancy 7c+ arête called the Gay Bar, had a go on a couple of projects in the 8a range, and gave an established 8a mixed bolted/trad route go but quickly ran out of skin, daylight, and power. Did all the moves though, so hopefully next time. Unfortunately I again have no climbing pictures as it was just Leanne and I out climbing but hopefully soon.  All I can leave you with for now is some shots of the peacocks that run loose around the upper basin. If the weather is good I hope to get out and maybe do some bouldering this week and might even shoot some video. Till then-

1 comment: